Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Know When to Stop

So I have been documenting the progression of "Imperfection" and here is the latest and final version of it.  That snail shell kicked my butt.  This painting fought me every step of the way.  I do not normally paint still lifes. I do not enjoy painting fabric.  However, this was a good lesson. I stretched my observation skills.  I worked at an unusually slower pace. I figured out new colors and color combinations and pushed my layering techniques.  This is not a good painting to sell, but it was a very good painting for me to make.  I cannot progress staying where it is safe. 
Now this has been going on at the same time as "Imperfection" and I feel all those lessons and frustrations have given  me the insight and success I feel developing here.  So all that energy was not wasted at all.  Part of the progress and discovery of my craft is using what happens in the bad paintings to create the good ones, the specials, and the keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment