Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Diary of a Painting

 A self portrait in profile was almost the last angle I have yet to paint, and so I wanted to see what it was about.  After taking a lot of time and care in setting up two mirrors and adjusting to the odd perspective of a reflection within a reflection, I lifted my arm to paint~ only to find it obscured my face completely!  Annoyed I banged the easel, the mirror slid, and everything aligned...
Oil Painting in progress
I closed the eye in this painting to push the viewer even further away from the figure.  It is beginning here to feel intimate and distant at the same time.   I added layers to the hair to catch the lighting and the grey, and rounded out the flesh.
 Pushing out of what's comfortable and easy is important for an artist's growth ~ mine anyway.  Here the narrative is forming. The energy that keeps the viewer in the painting and asks them to question and think and wonder...  
"What No One See"s 2014 oil on canvas 20in x 24in ~ complete

No comments:

Post a Comment