Monday, May 26, 2014

Counting Minions completed

Well here she is, completed.  This was very difficult to photograph and it is still not the best quality picture. "Counting Minions" is a small oil painting of our little girl cat, Pixie, and the title reflects how silly we can be with loving our pets.  This painting was done very slowly and each session became more deliberate than the last. This is not normally how I work so it was quite challenging.  I almost jumped the shark, here, and am concerned it is a little overworked.  I am pleased with the greys, however and have come away with a very good understanding which I will be using in future. 

It is a true skill, or obsession, to be able to successfully keep going back in and pulling out the details as if working toward infinity.  I prefer to paint more immediately and what I feel is the energy of the subject.  I enjoy drawing in the details, but painting is a different line of reasoning for me.   I know two watercolor artists in particular (who have been influencing me greatly these past couple years whether they know it or not!) who are spectacular with details.  It's interesting to see and talk about what excites different artists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment