Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tai Chi with Sifu Jesse Teasley




 This was the second tai chi class I attended at the Sedalia Center where I was permitted to sketch.  I used my big role of paper, and charcoal. I just kept unrolling as I needed more space and now there are two enormous scrolls of charcoal sketches at the art center, that speak to the grace and energy of tai chi.
Each class adds a new movement and allows for individual instruction on what they have been practicing. Each class opens up a little more about the bigger picture of what tai chi means.

At the end, one student performed on her own, accompanied by Sifu Teasley playing the flute. Though slow and deliberate, she actually moved too fast for me to sketch. Instead I tried to draw the line that showed her movements, and a painting came to me.   I can't really explain how that happened, but I will continue to show what comes from this welcomed collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment