Thursday, May 22, 2014

Left Over Paint


Someone once asked me what I do with left over paint since you cannot save it.  Well, this is an example of what I do.  I normally work on two or three paintings at one time so that when I come to a place where I have to stop on one canvas, I can turn to another to keep the momentum.  I don't work by piece, instead I work by ideas.  Sometimes, however, I need to just expend the energy, and these paintings are called the left-over-paint paintings.  No real thought but an interesting place to work from because I work with whatever colors are on the palette, and the subjects are just as random.  (These boys are my nephews, the photo was already a few years old.  They are so grown up now!)  What I enjoy about left-over-paint paintings is the focus on energy and experimentation. There is a freedom in this kind of painting that opens my eye to new technique and such.  It's all about the paint...





No comments:

Post a Comment