Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Just Plain Silliness

No No Puppy!
This painting was done with great fun as I explored using the paint as a kind of stain and created textures and lights by removing layers of color.  Someone had decided to give me the unsolicited advice that using oils in such a way was considered a "no no".  I immediately thought to myself "did he just say no no?"  He actually did say "no no".  If you say it enough times, it becomes as funny as Jezebel's expression ~ and so  this painting was born. 
Then I thought of how else this phrase might have been used...
"....monsieur Monet, that is a no no..."   "...Vincent, you are crazy! That is a no no!!"   "....chickens?! really? Chagall, that's a big no no..."
I think I'm okay.
There is somewhat of a point to be made for understanding the history of art, and techniques in order to develop skills and such. I'm not sure someone who can blurt out "no no" understood enough past their own point of view to really say such a thing. (Say it with me~ no no!)  For me, the question is what do you do to continue growing toward being able to master something? I believe you explore.  So many contemporary artists have roots in traditional realistic rendering and representation~ and then they explored all kinds of new possibilities. I think it is important to understand point of view when discussing art~ meaning the other person's point of view.  So much is subjective and relative.  I feel the more you know, the more you must explore! It's compulsive! It's obsessive! What else can you do?
No No Puppy! is 20in x 24in oil on canvas. It is a playful look at the idea of home ~ good memories that can only come from that kind of place. It is named all in good fun with no malice.  Contact me for sales inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment