Sunday, March 23, 2014

when drawing is a necessity


A few years ago, I began using the television as a model source.  Honestly, it began with NCIS marathons on Sundays (Mark Harmon people).  Extremely quick gesture drawings, they were sketching exercises only (to put it kindly).  But then I got some DVDs.  It was during the few months I lived alone right before moving and I had cancelled my cableTV.  Well, you can stop a DVD for a minute or so. It's kind of fun. I have a short amount of time, so the quickness is needed, but there are all these distractions of make-up, purposeful lighting, angles, and theatrics that just aren't present in the real world.  So what do I end up drawing~ the art directors vision, or a real person?  The lighting in Star Trek (it is from the 1960s) reminds me a lot of older comic books and I felt a nice illustrative quality coming out in these quick sketches.  I am going to try NCIS again soon too, because now I also have....DVR...!



not sure if I need a disclaimer, but here it is... these images are not for sale and not for use without my permission.  Paramount is sole owner of Star Trek yadda yadda yadda....

No comments:

Post a Comment