Wednesday, March 19, 2014

morning rituals

 So after we pour coffee, what do we usually do?  My muse, Jezebel, after many distinguished years as a model, promptly takes a morning nap.  Today her toes were too adorable to ignore!
Off and on, I make the habit of sketching early in the morning.  It opens my eyes to seeing instead of looking.  What does this mean?  To me, looking is a way of deciding and defining visually what is around you.  Seeing is observing and accepting.  Seeing is my first step in drawing.  It is important that I see my subject more than I look at my paper.  This is how I capture the energy (or the snoozing).  It is a certain frame of mind, focus, or concentration that allows me to translate onto the paper.  An important part of the morning ritual is to be able to see what is around me.  Observing is safe and accepting is the challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment